The holiday season! It’s loaded-that’s for sure. I try to slow down to enjoy a few short weeks of holiday magic, but it can be pretty challenging. When I need an escape or simply some time to recharge, the kitchen feeds me. I celebrate the quiet moments-did I just say that? There’s nothing quiet about our house. I must have been dreaming!-the moments where I can focus amidst the busy-ness of life and think, create, and finally share and enjoy with the ones I love.
During the low light of winter, I crave invigorating flavors of Rosemary. The hardy properties in this evergreen kitchen herb complement the big wines that keep me warm and cozy all season long.
This is the perfect wine snack to bring out when friends stop by with a bottle of wine or just to enjoy while wrapping gifts and putting the final touches on holiday decorations. Yeah-when I made these and kind of over indulged (just a LITTLE bit) because they were so yummy straight out of the oven! Grab a glass of wine and settle into this easy recipe that would be a great gift for the wine lovers in your life.
ROSEMARY SEA SALT CRACKERS
1 C all-purpose flour
¾ C whole-wheat flour
½ t salt
5 T olive oil
¾ C water
2 T finely chopped Rosemary
sea salt to top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large kitchen mixer with paddle attachment combine flours and salt.
- Next, add olive oil, water, and rosemary. Mix on low speed until dough forms.
- Remove promptly to avoid overworking and divide dough in half.
- Place one piece of the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or Silpat. Roll out dough evenly and as thin as possible.
- Use a knife to cut the dough into squares or rectangles. You could also use a cookie cutter to make special cut outs
- Use a fork to pierce each cracker shape.
- Sprinkle with sea salt
- Bake for 15-20 minutes depending on thickness of crackers.
Enjoy with a glass of Cabernet, goat cheese, and sliced roast beef.
Rosemary flavors are intense and the texture is rich. There isn’t much that’s delicate about this pungent herb. I enjoy a delicious Cabernet Sauvignon with slightly peppery flavors that range just beyond green bell pepper into cracked paprika. Rosemary brings out the botanical aromatics that lie beneath these big beauties full of texture and complexity.